Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Kong: Skull Island

I saw this movie the other day as a birthday gift from my parents. 17!!!



K   O   N   G
S K U L L   I S L A N D



                  I was very impressed with this movie overall. The CGI was phenomenal and I really like that I got to see so much of Kong. It seemed like the CG Artists forgot virtually nothing when constructing his physique and movements.
                  Overall, character development didn't seem like a very important thing. It seemed like they just wanted to show off a giant ape, giant spider, giant grasshopper, and whatever the hell the
"Skullcrawlers" were. However, Kong was portrayed as a "good king. Keeps to himself", and he protects the native inhabitants of the island who are human. It was like Kong understood that the people didn't want to hurt him at all, and he inherited his duty to protect the natives from his murdered parents.
                  The story to get to the island was quick, underdeveloped, and rushed. The opening sequence was cool though, going from World War II to Vietnam through a series of clips and reels that set the stage nicely for when Kong was first discovered. How he will resurface for his big fight with Godzilla though is a good question that I hope the writers for that big film address.
                  Alright, characters: John Goodman played a man obsessed with the idea of giant monsters being the original inhabitants of Earth before mankind came on the scene. What isn't really explained is why the monsters went into hiding once man "took over". Maybe they were alive when the dinosaurs were so they went into hiding during the meteor shower.
                  Samuel L. Jackson is a general that was originally stationed in Vietnam. And he's just itching for a fight. Sam basically played himself, screaming at everyone and making sure that the giant monsters don't hurt anymore people.
                  Tom Hiddleston is supposed to be an explorer that can handle himself in uncharted jungle terrains. His abilities aren't really showcased, but he looks pretty cool with a sub-machine gun and not a staff (for those Marvel junkies out there, I'm one of y'all).
                  Brie Larson is an anti-war photojournalist who actually contributed to the public's outrage over the war in Vietnam. At this point in the movie, American troops are being pulled home from Vietnam, and Brie is pretty happy about that. She's got a pretty nice camera, too.
                  Those are the main folks, and I'm dipping my toes in the waters of actually going for reviews rather than giving y'all a synopsis of what happens. So we'll see how you like it. If you don't, please comment and I can go back to telling you the movie.




K   O   N   G
S K U L L   I S L A N D




Ratings:
Family Friendliness: 7/10 Helicopters I was rather impressed with the whole movie being relatively kid-friendly. I mean, apart from short sequences of people getting eaten and blood spattering, it's pretty clean. I don't really remember any cursing, but don't take my word for it. I'm sure Samuel L. Jackson would be the one to drop a language bomb.
Story-line: 7/10 Mountains Not really much to go on except for the fact that they just want to get off the island. I guess that's easy to follow, so I gave it a decent rating.
Story-Action Balance: 7/10 Islands I guess there was good balance. We meet an old World War II vet that's been stuck on the island for about twenty or so years and he basically gives the gist of Kong's background and his role as king and protector of the native people. I'm glad that not all of it was shooting and fighting, but there was definitely a good chunk of it.
Acting: 8/10 Monsters Don't gemme wrong, each actor lived up to their character, but because the characters weren't that well-developed, there wasn't a lot of acting to fill into their characters.
Intensity: 8/10 For sure, I was on the edge of my seat for all of the monster fights. At one point I was really worried about Kong, but then I remembered that they're going to do a fight between him and Godzilla so I was okay. But still, all the fights were intense.
Rewatch Probability: 7/10 I probably wouldn't rewatch this as much as I would Hacksaw Ridge or something along those lines, but it's still a decent film overall.
Overall: 7/10

Bibliography:

No comments:

Post a Comment