Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Logan

(NON-SPOILER REVIEW) Y'know, walking out of the theater, I realized that Hugh Jackman has been portraying the character of Wolverine for as long as I've been alive. A character that I grew up with has passed on to a place that  I cannot go. That really hit home for me. And I'm sure it will hit you, too.




L    O    G    A    N



                  Hugh Jackman wields the claws for the last time in the most touching and intense journey that we have seen yet. He is caring for a sick and dying Charles Xavier with Caliban as he himself is slowly dying. The fact that he's constantly getting shot at doesn't help at all. Logan drives a limousine in El Paso, Texas. The year is 2029 and, as stated in the Logan trailers, mutants are gone. And we never really know what happened to them.
                  Through the limo business, he's hoping to leave the US and go to Canada, where it's safe for them. As it is, many people believe that all the mutants are dead. They've most likely heard stories, but since they're not as often seen, they're almost like an urban legend.
                  Donald Pierce comes to Logan asking about a woman by the name of Gabriella. He wants her daughter and will stop at nothing to get Laura (aka X-23). This launches Logan, Laura, and Charles onto a cross country journey on the way to North Dakota. Their challenges never stop however, and Logan and Charles are pushed beyond their limits in Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart's last times in their iconic characters' shoes.



Ratings:
Family Friendliness: 1/10 NOT, I repeat NOT, for anyone below the age of 13. It has extreme blood, gore, and plenty of cursing. I mean, all of it works nicely to bring a more human element to Hugh Jackman's character, but you'll definitely want to fasten your seatbelts for all of the intense sequences of violence.
Story-line: 9.5/10 You will be on the edge of your seat, biting your nails, bawling your eyes out, and laughing along as we see Logan come the closest he's ever been to having a family since X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Story-Action Balance: 8/10 I was very impressed with how there was actually a story to carry Logan from the borderland of El Paso to the edge of North Dakota and even into Canada. At almost every moment where there was blood shed, there was a good reason for it. The gore wasn't thrown in simply to give us a "HELL YEAH" moment when Logan got slicing and dicing, although there were plenty of moments like that. The blood was show how Logan's life has been full of killing, and he's had to live with that for almost 200 years. And really, it's sad when you think about it.
Acting: 8/10 As always, Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart put on stellar performances. I can't think of a better way for them to end their almost two decade long careers as X-Men.
Intensity: 9/10 UNREAL. I almost peed my pants quite honestly.
Re-watch Probability: 9/10 I don't care if I will cry every single time I watch this movie. I'm going to watch it over and over again until I'm sick of it (which is most likely impossible) and I will KEEP WATCHING IT.
Overall: 9/10 The actual ratings would come out to 7, but who cares about math, right? Hugh Jackman gave us all the Wolverine we deserved and I am happy that he played the part so well. You had a good run Hugh. I enjoyed every second of your films and I'm sad to see you lay the claws down. But you laid them down in the best way Logan knew how: with a brutal but victorious fight. I can't wait to see you in future films, and I'll be with ya till the end of the line.


Bibliography:

No comments:

Post a Comment